Monday, June 16, 2008

Road Test

We had a blast yesterday! Al Hamme brought the founding members of the Quartet together for a Father's Day concert in nearby Johnson City, NY. As part of our set, Tony, Tom, Al, and I played four of the new tunes to a very appreciative audience. Thanks, Al, for the gig, and for insisting that we play this music.

A few of the random comments:
  • "Iona Morning is a wonderful piece . . . so full of joy! I will be humming the melody all day."
  • "This or That out-Monks Thelonious!"
  • "Everybody Dance took me back to the thrill of Mardi Gras in the French Quarter. My feet were tapping. Thanks for that great tune."
It's gratifying to know the tunes can stand on their own musical terms. The players really enjoy them, and the audience responds.

The trick will be to offer them as spiritual prayers, without becoming preachy. It does affect the room when somebody introduces me as a minister, or if I talk too much about Jesus in a secular concert setting. Hmm...

No comments: